Steve Treanor, Senior Research Executive
I have worked at Ipsos MORI for over 5 years, having graduated with a Masters in Applied Social Research (with Distinction) from the University of Stirling. I am adept at working with all types of methodologies, including quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method evaluations.
Much of my work has been in housing research and I have conducted both qualitative and quantitative exercises with a range of audiences in the sector, including: tenants of social landlords; home owners; Registered Tenants Organisations; the Scottish Housing Regulator; and senior managers and housing officers working in local authorities and housing associations. This includes:
- research to identify the priorities of tenants of social landlords, which was carried out to inform the development of part 3 of the Housing (Scotland) Bill
- research among flat owners, carried out on behalf of the Office of Fair Trading, to explore perceptions and experience of property managing agents, to inform a wider market study of property managers in Scotland.
I also have a particular interest and skills in:
- cognitive testing techniques. I managed a programme of work for the General Register of Scotland (GROS), testing a variety of draft questions for inclusion in the 2011 Census, and provided recommendations to GROS which fed directly into improving the Census questionnaire
- qualitative research with vulnerable and hard-to-reach groups and/or about sensitive topics. I have carried out depth interviews with people from wide-ranging lifestyles and backgrounds including: registered sex offenders; black and ethnic minority groups (BMEs); people with disabilities and learning difficulties; people who use English as a second language; and individuals experiencing difficult personal issues (for example, severe debt, threat of eviction etc.)
- social listening techniques which provide organisations with insight into what people are saying about their brands in social media e.g. on Twitter.
“It's not just one thing, it's how the whole project was treated. The people from Ipsos thought along, provided good suggestions, timely delivered what was asked for, and answered all questions promptly.” Private Sector client