The Scottish Government has a healthy public approval rating, according to our latest Scottish Public Opinion Monitor
, conducted last month.
Over half of Scots (54%) are satisfied with the way the Scottish Government is running the country compared to 39% who are dissatisfied, giving a net satisfaction rating of +15%. This is in stark contrast to the UK Government’s net satisfaction
rating of -40% among voters across Britain.
All key demographic groups in the population are more satisfied than dissatisfied with the Scottish Government. Net satisfaction is particularly high among young people (+50% of 18-24 year olds), men (+23%) and those working in the public sector (+22%).
Unsurprisingly, satisfaction ratings tend to follow political allegiances. SNP supporters are the most likely to approve of the Scottish Government’s performance, giving a net satisfaction score of +68%. Liberal Democrat supporters are the second most positive with a net satisfaction rating of +17%, while Labour and Conservative supporters are more likely to be dissatisfied, with scores of -13% and -26% respectively.
Christopher McLean, Senior Research Executive at Ipsos MORI Scotland, said:
“Our poll shows that a majority of Scots think that the Scottish Government is doing a good job. This will be particularly encouraging for the SNP given that they have now been in power for over five years and given the comparable approval rating of the UK Government among voters across Britain.”
Download the charts here (PDF)
Download the computer tables here (PDF)
- Results are based on a survey of 1,003 respondents conducted by telephone
- Fieldwork dates: 8th October – 15th October 2012
- Data are weight by: age, sex and working status using census data; tenure using SHS data; and public-private sector employment using Scottish Government Quarterly Public Sector Employment series data
- Where results do not sum to 100%, this may be due to computer rounding, multiple responses, or the exclusion of “don’t know” categories
- Results are based on all respondents (1,003) unless otherwise stated